PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jumpseat use
Thread: Jumpseat use
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 10:45
Big Sky Theory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a military ATCO, I have on occassions when travelling domestically with both VB and Qantas, asked the dispatch staff at the gate if their was any chance of jump-seating and if they could ask the Captain, supplying appropriate ID etc.
Each time has been with no luck, with a different explanation given as to why.
Controlling these acft on a daily basis, I thought there wouldn't be a problem, provided appropriate ID was provided and that the Capt. was happy you were who you said you were.

For the drivers, is having an ATCO up the front for a sector a problem. Surely the opportunity to for us to see what's going on in the cockpit and you guys to ask any questions would more than likely be beneficial for both parties?

I understand that the regs are tight these days but we can still drive on aerodromes etc without an ASIC pass and we're trusted to provide an ATC service, so what gives?

I don't believe any pilot that actually wanted to turn up and have a look at what goes on from our end, would be turned away.

I realise you guys don't make the policy, but any ideas or info would be good, particularly how (if any) way to jump seat these days.

Cheers
BST