PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spirit of Adventure
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 07:45
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wobbler, giving your post a further couple of minutes thought, we started with a barnstorming session. Who knew who who could provide what? Would we have a theme? What theme? What did we need to support that theme?

Why did we need a theme? It provided a focus. It gave a reason to tell Sqn X that we needed them and where they would fit in that theme.

So far it looks like some of that happened at Abingdon. A round robin appealling for help in Scotland looks like sheer desparation. So:

How about - an Expeditionary Air Wing? Well Leuchars is the nearest lets have AOC 1 GP task OC EAW.

But there is no airfield. But the RAF still provides air services to support other services. How about a model based on Camp Bastion - no airfield there.

OK, what do we need?

Security - RAF Regt and RAF Police, STO.
Catering
Supply, Fuel
Air Support - Helos, a FARP, CAS, FAC, Ops

etc etc.

Having identified the theme and the requirments for an isolated outpost in Jockistan the rest is simple. This is part of the CAS Engagement Strategy simply task those units that can set up such a camp.

All you need now is a WO or MAcr to organise it. (I didn't say 'competent' as that goes without saying; and I mentioned MAcr TR)

Job done.