PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates or Dragonair
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 01:16
Mick Jagger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some body mention my name????

Yes I have worked for both so here is my twopeneth.

Both are good jobs. EK is a large very glossy and very well run airline training facilities and Equipment both on the Ground and in the air first class. The route structure is varied and with the bid system you can get more or less the flying you want. Lots of expansion so lots of oportunities for those that like to get involved in extra curricula activities.
Dubai and EK have grown together and both are suffering from the effects of rapid growth. The Family atmostphere of EK a decade ago has gone you are a number and the bottom line is paramount. Dubai has and is suffering from outrageous inflation and when coupled with the slide of its Dollar based currency has had a crippling effect on the buying power of the once respectable salary. There have been recent payrises but these still do not offset the effect of the afore mentioned forces over the last 10 years.
In short you will be if not broke then certainly money concious at EK.
Hard to cut costs when living in a very interesting holiday resort town with lots to do. I was very happy at EK and still think fondly of the job. I dont however think fondly of my financial position back then or my non existent retirment prospects. If money is no object EK is the better job and Dubai the better place.

Dragonair,

Hong Kong is ridiculously polluted to the extent that I have sent the Band to greener pastures while I slog it out. Space and therefore property is at a premium in Hong Kong and property prices per SQ FT are outrageous.
The salary at KA is good but and this is important, its only good if you get in the house purchase scheme and have KA buy you a flat. Now you have two choices you can squeeze the band into a 1000 sq ft aprtment that costs arount 3/4M US$ and take the money or you can invest a fortune and buy a big flat. Bear in mind that you will need a 30% deposit to get in so you better have some cash. Without taking advantage of the above the KA salary is barely market rate.
Hong Kong despite the pollution is a vibrant fun city although not so much fun for Kids. Its a matter of taste.
The future for KA is any bodys guess could be more expansion could be absorbsion into Cathay (read 7 yrs to command) could be gradual dissolution.
If you want to make money and dont mind slumming it for a ffew years you can do well. I did.
Rostering in KA is well ...punitive. It is at times shockingly administered highly unstable subject to myriad changes and the most in efficient I have ever seen. You will almost always work 12 hour days and usually bank 4hours flying.
The guys in both companies are great...very professional and nice to work with.

I could go on for hours comparingthe two but in summary

want to enjoy your job and lifestyle EK
want to make money KA

The above represents the opinion of Mick and the band only so before you jump on me head bear in mind that opinions are like arseholes. everybodies got one.