PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie Businessmen set to sue Etihad
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2007, 14:17
Sinbad1

Wink Set Rules

I think we all agree if anybody is going to compete in the Olympics you need to be an Olympic standard, likewise if an airline like EY wants to maintain an international standard with an image of excellence they need to have an international and very good standard of management team. The point of confusion here is the misunderstanding by some towards others when they become critical of the management. The way I read it is this - Nobody defended any wan......kers here and I think the majority are in agreement with regards to the alleged misbehaviour and the drunk act which those guys may have displayed in the Diamond cabin. As someone has rightly pointed out, if you see someone had one drink too many then you do not keep providing him or her with more drink, and as someone has also rightly pointed out this shows lack of experience, maturity and poor management and, if I may add, poor training as well.
The discussion was mainly focused not on defending those Aussi guys but around the handling procedures of the incident which arose from no or lack of correct approach/training which springs back to the root cause which is the airline management. Additionally when the pilot had called for the police he may have followed what had been laid down before him by the airline or acted upon advice he may have been given over the R/T.
Finally I think, like some of the guys rightly pointed out, EY needs to revise or introduce a correct procedure of handling such matter with careful consideration to their future reputation not being harmed by involving those Abu dh...abi pol..ice pack of idiots whose education level don't exceed beyond primary school education.
The final word is the discussion on this forum has already moved from those 3 guys to the airline's handling of this incident. It would be nice NOT to view criticism of the management as criticising the whole of the EY staff or as EY bashing.
This alcohol serving business is quite a serious matter. I remember one American guy had a dispute with one of the police at Abu Dhabi airport. The officer smelled alcohol on his breath and as a consequence they locked him up for 2 days. Turning a blind eye to the problem doesn't solve the problem. A lot of westerners in the UAE are actually tourists. Where will it stop? I think EY and the Abu Dhabi government (and EK too for that matter) need to make clear rules and regulations as to exactly what is and is not allowed for muslims and non muslims (ie with regards to both the serving and/or consumption of alcohol on board flights into the UAE). They must also curb their hypocrisy and not serve alcohol in their hotels and then arrest people who have been drinking when they come out.

Safe and happy flying to all