PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Q400 performance/fuel saving.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2007, 09:11
Crossunder

Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q400 performance/fuel saving.

I fly the Q400 for a small regional airline ”somewhere in Europe”. I have the distinct feeling that we do not fully take advantage of the Q400’s potential. Here’s why:
- For take-offs, which are all on relatively long runways (shortest is EGPD/ABZ), we always use MTOP (90% TQ), no matter what our take-off mass is.
- We always use MCP, regardless of wind/velocity.
- We [almost] always pretend to be a KC-135, and haul around tons of extra fuel, even in severe CAVOK on short sectors.
- Climb/cruise/descend schedules are never “planned”; most pilots just pick a pitch/IAS randomly (or so it seems)
Are there any Q400 drivers out there who care to shed some light on how this aircraft is operated by other companies? Do you use reduced torque for take-off, as this would save fuel and reduce engine wear? Do you decrease cruising speed in a strong tailwind, in order to save fuel? (I’ve read that by reducing cruise speed by 60kt (from max), you can save 200kgs of fuel on a 1-hour flight!). Are you encouraged to use a low flap setting on approach to save fuel?
PM me if you feel like it! ;-)
/Cross.