PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin to cover Endorsement Cost
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2007, 08:17
Ratter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard some pretty reliable information that VB is indeed switching to bonding.......BUT....... If you think that the company is not going to recover their costs then you are kidding yourself.

Firstly, VB has a very good relationship with Alteon and as such are able to get a pretty damned good rate on the simulators when purchasing bulk sim time.

Secondly, the actions of a major company are very rarely altruistic. If VB are taking care of the training then they can exact greater control over how many people come through at a certain time instead of leaving it to the individual and having very staggered course dates. With this the induction courses can be scheduled to be larger and more efficient. Also if the customer at Alteon is an airline then they can teach the procedures of that airline instead of the generic boeing procedures which are taught to the so called 'unaffiliated customers'

Thirdly, contrary to poular belief there ARE plenty of people who are willing to pay up front... after all an outlay of $26K (as the course now costs) for an increase in salary of at least that amount seems to make sense to me. But that is neither here nor there. On the pay up front issue.. i know that the tax deductibility of the costs is a hotly debated topic..... remember that the precedent has pretty much been set and there are plenty who have claimed it succesfully.

Finally, and with reference to what i said earlier, VB will recover their costs in other ways such as....... training wages until check to line, not on full allowances until check to line etc.. (don't quote me these are just some of the rumoured possibilities).

I think you will find that when you look at both sides of the equation i.e paying up front vs bonding, that they will come out pretty similar in the mix, perhaps even in favour of those who pay up front. After all...do you really think that the company would change it overnight and risk alienating the qualified masses already with the company that have paid upfront, what is keeping them here if the company did screw them like that. They simply cannot afford to get it wrong and lose more experienced people.

One thing is for certain... motives are very rarely unselfish. I for one think it is good that the bonding will be a reality... it means that those who do not have access to the upfront money can have a fair go at it.

Just my humble opinion.

Safe flying!

Ratter