PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training Stapleford Vs Cabair (Biggin Hill)
Old 6th Jun 2007, 08:14
TractorBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learnt at Stapleford over 6 months about 2 years ago. I found them both friendly and helpful.
1). I would definitely learn in a C152 - it only takes a few hours to convert over to a PA28, and the savings made over the course would more than pay for this. Plus, the C152 is a very forgiving aircraft - ideal for learning in. Stapleford also have about 15 of the things, so availiability is good.
2). As for cost, I paid a few thousand in advance - I know people don't recommend it, as if the school goes under, you lose your money. But you can get up to 10% discount if you pay for 45 hours in advance, and Stapleford "seem" to be a fairly financially stable school. I'm sure you could get cheaper elsewhere, but don't forget all landing fees are included - this does add up over 45 hours of lessons !!!
3). Ground School - I'm not too sure about this. I think they do very limited ground school, something like 1 lecture per week. They seem to cover all subjects over about a 10 week period, then start again. I actually did mine off my own back - did Air Law first to see if I could do the self-taught route, and found I had no trouble. If you want to learn at Stapleford, I would recommend trying this method first, as it's not really ground school orientated. Mind you, the exams were the cheapest I have come across - £15 for the first sitting, payable only if you pass !!!
Hope that's some help - drop me a PM if you want any more info.

PS And yes - If I had my time again, I would still learn there. I'm thinking of doing my IMC next year, and Stapleford is my school of choice !!!

PPS The £6120 is simply the rate for dual rate for 35 hours + solo rate for 10 hours. i.e the minimum legal flight time required. It'll cost more than that. But you'll prob. get 10% off if you pay this in advance.

Last edited by TractorBoy; 6th Jun 2007 at 08:30. Reason: Additional Info