PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2007, 22:24
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTVAairport
4) Could easily be sorted, if management was willing to bring the pay inline with other airports, problem here is, it might take a strike and action from SRG first.
Umm, nice theory, shame it won't work in practice. Bringing the pay inline isn't the answer.

1) You'll have to make it higher to get people to relocate.

2) Last time I looked fully qualified ATCO's were not exactly pouring out of the woodwork. There is a shortage, you're going to have to compete with everyone else for the workforce that's available.

With the lead time in recruiting and training, judging by the staffing levels DTV has at the moment, I'd say you're looking at 18 months IF you could get the people in and trained, before being able to operate an uninterrupted, H24 service. You need a minimum of 15 fully rated and 5 tower only just to provide that. That still gives no flex for sickness, or in house training, or for sending the tower onlys on radar courses (which you will need to do eventually).

I've been there with a previous employer - it's a long haul, it's tiring, and if you don't reward the staff accordingly while they're carrying the place then they up and leave - increasing, not decreasing, the problem.