PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-800 Flap speeds
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2007, 21:25
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the original question. I follow all the macho arguments, and all the techno discussions. However, the original scenario was the crew are offerd a visual approach. That would suggest they can fly in whatever part of the sky they wish to achieve the meeting of a/c with gound at the correct place and speed.
It is said the company limitations are not allowing orbits on finals, within certain criteria. I know some of the N.Italian airfields concerned where there is often an unhelpful tailwind on a straight-in. However, what prevents a flight through the centreline and capture form the other side? This is not an orbit. Or, a turn away from the finals until at suitable height?
The drive & dive technique works, yes, but it has the pax hanging in their straps and the cabin crew hanging onto the trolleys as they career towards the sharp end.
The clearance was a visual approach, not an expedite landing. There's no fire or any other justification to exceed, limits or operate outside SOP's.
However, if ROD is what is required then gear (any significant drag) is best, but if you are pointing at a runway with gear out/speed brake and 245kts then, perhaps, you are in the wrong place. It is not a comfortable feeling, wondering if it is going to work out, or not. Hairs on back of neck etc.
If you are offered a visual in a small airfield, it might imply no other traffic. Why not consider a flight over the airfield into a visual circuit? Safe, smooth and comfortable.
The skillful pilot avoids getting into situations where he needs to use his skills to escape from them.