PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does this leave Professional Pilots ??
Old 19th Dec 2001, 14:48
max_cont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.3Vstall, forgive me if I’m wrong but I think you‘re missing the point. Just working normal airline rosters will get you into the driving while too tired category. (Not to mention flying) I’m sure most professional pilots will agree with me. As stated in an earlier post I live within the one-hour drive to work rule.

The old CAP 371 rules were designed as a maximum legal limit and not intended as a normal work pattern. The various airlines, being commercial companies found ways of getting you to work as close to those limits as possible. The new JAA rules are even worse.

I have reported fatigued and got an interview with my manager for my trouble. He even agreed with me that the roster was “not ideal” but told me to go sick in future (No reports generated that way)

From my vantage point at the bottom of this particular pond, it would seem that the CAA are very keen not to look into this. The Ops inspectors only fly with a select few Captains and get fed the company line. I have no proof, but I bet 90% of the pilots reading this can tell you the same.

The only reason for posting this is that no one can prove who I am, but since my cards have already been marked, I suppose it won’t make any difference anyway.

I have never understood the difference between a mistake made due to fatigue or a mistake made due to tiredness.

The trouble is, is that as individuals we’re powerless to stop this if we want to have any sort of career. Unless the industry gets a push by political pressure or public insistence, then I don’t see things changing until we have a major incident.