PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL instructor
Thread: PPL instructor
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2007, 12:56
SQUAWKIDENT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read a number of rumours and discussion on various GA forums about a proposed EASA PPL Flying Instructor rating where the prospective FI would take a specific exam designed for those who wish to be "career" instructors at PPL level (and be paid for it) and DO NOT WANT to enter the commercial airline environment (therefore avoiding the cost/time of training for the CPL).
I presume this is different to the NPPL FI proposal?

I know some Instructors are against this - and I can understand why if they are career instructors (not airline wannabes). However there does appear to be a serious Instructor shortage at the moment and it looks set to get worse.

The CFI of one very large flying school based near London told me that by September they will have only TWO instructors at their base (HIM and one other). The rest are leaving this Summer to go into airline jobs.

Surely an "EASA PPL Only" FI course would be an excellent way of encouraging basic PPLs (like me!) to further their knowledge and understanding of flying, earn a wage AND pass on their passion to the next generation of private pilots without the expense and time required with the current CPL syllabus.