PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay VRS Emirates : Culture / lifestyle
Old 5th Jun 2007, 10:27
mini cooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there is another angle to the CX/ EK topic for those of you that think both CX and EK are the most desirable places around. In both cases when you arrive you think you have really made it, maybe young and single getting paid a good wage lots of crew to party with etc etc. Then however you get married (maybe to one of the crew who grabed you the moment you went out on your first night!!), maybe you were already married when you arrived, either way you are then into different territory, the whole place changes slightly you get different priorities, then kids arrive and boy it really changes. The once good pay packet gets dented in a major way, you are not able to party as before and you suddenly realise how far you are away from your family and your country back home (in my case I really appreciate my home country more than I realised I did when I first came to DXB). This does affect how you feel towards Cx or EK. At CX you have basings so problem solved to some extent, at EK no basings so this is the point at which you have to decide to stay and put up with it or get going. As people have said you have to way things up then live with the decision.
So I would say that it is not a decision of whether CX or EK is better, it is more a decision of whether you could put up with living in the environment of HKG or DXB long term, then add to this the comments about CX and EK management, and there you have it, it is up to you.

PS if you didn't know HKG - hot and sticky all year, 24/7!!! / DXB - summer is stupidly ****ing hot and sticky, cools down at night to a temperature similar to the temp HKG is most of the year(a bit like a sauna)!!Winter DXB is wonderful so you live for the nice 6 months a year.
Make your choice!!