PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old and Cash-strapped Wannabee
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2007, 15:45
sunday driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, folks.
Many thanks for your constructive and very helpful views.
Here’s my reasons for starting on this track.
I am hoping to
  • Spend some quality time working in aviation
  • Get more flying, without the ability to pay for it
  • Share my love of aviation with others
  • Supplement what will be a reasonable pension
So, the issues
UNPAID? – thanks for the advice, I won’t go there
HOW LONG WILL I INSTRUCT? – Well as long as poss. I had the honour of being instructed at one time by an 82 year old (sports jacket / raincoat and a flat cap). 10 years would be brill, more would be a bonus
EXPENSE? – This could be an issue. I’ll take it step by step. I could look at this as an up-front payment for future free hourrs.
STUDY? Not a problem for me. Learning new stuff has been my bread & butter for ever.
AGE? Again, not a problem for me. Regular 10k jogs in the local hills. No 1 daughter is a rock musician and I’m their (unpaid) European road manager – we’ve done more rock music in more venues than many, etc, etc, - aging bloody hippy. Medicals are always an issue, but to counter-balance a failure, they do give most people a good early warning of impending doom.
PAY? Either full or part time, our living expenses will be covered from decades of selling my soul to the multinationals
LOGICAL and COST-EFFECTIVE? You’ve probably noticed that, emotionally, I’ve already decided, but thanks to your advice, I will now make the expensive decisions on a step by step basis. And, thanks to your advice, I should be able to avoid some of the pitfalls.
What a fine bunch you all are!!
Ta
SD