PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does this leave Professional Pilots ??
Old 15th Dec 2001, 05:51
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

An interesting thread, however I'm more than a little surprised that the "core" of this discussion has evolved around fatigue affecting pilots, during their car journey home after work.
Surely the next progression to this court ruling, would be similarly charging crews who have an accident following a flight that was undertaken without adequate rest - whether it was an all-night flight (which had probably commenced at a sign-on time of around 2100 local), or a day flight undertaken in a foreign country without allowance for "jet-lag" (the body clock's 'home time', ie Circadian rythm).
How many times approaching the end of an all night flight have I thought to myself, "If only the pax (who have probably managed to grab a few hours sleep) knew how much like sh!t I feel like NOW! (Tired, dry eyes, heavy eyelids, and that yearning to just sleep!)

Some people, such as I, are inherent early-risers - I wake at 0530 in Summer, and 0600-0630 in Winter, without an alarm, and regardless of the time I go to bed the previous night - making those night flights "nightmares".
Other individuals are late risers and kick on through until 1 or 2 in the morning - however, NO-ONE (except insomniacs) are still USUALLY awake at 4 or 5am.

Likewise, for those wishing/needing rest during the day, prior to duty, it may simply not be possible where both parents of children are working.

The answer for employers isolating themselves from the prospect of any court action in the event their employee is involved in a road accident, is an easy one - provide transport to and from work, or make rest facilities available following work at home base.

Two crew complements on, all-night ops flying between 2300-0700 should be MANDATORY regardless of sector length...for SAFETY'S SAKE!!