PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wattisham
Thread: Wattisham
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2007, 11:13
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How nice to have a thread about how things used to be instead of how awful they are now. Never served at Wattisham, but not too different from Horsham, Sylt, Swinderby, Akrotiri, Conningsby etc in those days, so excuse me butting in. But I did know people there, and visited now and again. Specially the chap who rhymes with Pony Dark, ex Stn Cdr, who was Wing Wps O at Conningsby when I was OC car parks and visits (some sort of sqn ldr ops) there in early Phantom days. He was allowed to fly one, me only a couple of back seat rides! Great chap, last saw him a couple of years ago at a 70th birthday party for a mutual friend from those days. We were all bemoaning our various disabilities and lack of abilities, he said he was OK, could 'still pi$$ over a mini'! Wish I could.

My last visit was in 74 with the Rothmans team, no doubt for an Air Show of some kind. I was No3 in a stream landing, and had the ignominy of having to go round again because of slipstream! In a Pitts, on 3000 yard of concrete or so, never lived it down; still haven't when I think about it.

Happy days.