PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does this leave Professional Pilots ??
Old 15th Dec 2001, 02:41
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

The acid test will be when one of our employers is held to be responsible for the next Selby.

Here's an example of dumb but legal rostering.

I know next month I'll be in the simulator from 0300 - 0900 in a nearby foreign country. Before that I've got two days off, so I could stay up late, sleep in and acclimatise myself quite nicely, couldn't I? No, because on the day before the sim, I have to report at 0630 to position to the foreign country, stay in a noisy hotel and 'sleep' before doing the sim sesh,then go straight to the airport to fly back to base and then, you've guessed it....drive home.

's OK though, it's only the busiest motorway in the UK and if I drive fast enough, I'll only expose the public to half an hour's worth of my crap, sleepy progress!

Back to Selby, it smacks to me of the well known Chinook accident at the Mull. Had that aircraft simply killed the crew, the enquiry's verdict of 'no known cause' would have been accepted, just as this hapless bloke veering off the road into a tree would have raised no eyebrows. The idea that the horrendous consequences somehow alter the cause is a nonsense.