PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing drop recovery at the stall - killing an old myth.
Old 3rd Jun 2007, 10:06
exflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree to a point. The application of rudder at the point of stall needs to be quite violent in most GA aircraft to induce a stall. That is the way they are designed. I still think an application of rudder at the point of stall in the opposite direction to the wing drop will always create a neater recovery to straight and level with minimum height loss. To disregard a primary flight control surface as a possible method of recovery is a little rash if you ask me. The flight instructors manual will obviously cater for the incorrect input and or too much rudder input by a student. In this respect it is duely conservative. I think it is a little foolish however to call a technique that has been taught for decades,"rubbish". The wording I think is a safe guard for CASA rather than a "set in stone" teaching method. If a student goes out practices stalls and spins in, who is going to know what he actually did anyway! I'm still a stick AND rudder man.