PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing drop recovery at the stall - killing an old myth.
Old 3rd Jun 2007, 06:23
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Aircraft spin differently depending on aerodynamic characteristics, B/A ratios etc. so there's no real generic recovery that'll work for everything.
Those that are approved for spinning should have procedures in the flight manual that work for the type.
I have flown types that call for progressive introduction of forward stick until the spin stops, among other things, so it's not necessarily a dangerous thing, just one that may or may not be called for if the type requires it.
In some (for example, the PC-9), there's a requirement that they be spun in maintenance test flying and must recover both hands on and hands off in a prescribed number of turns (different for each type of recovery).
It's fairly pointless having a standard spin recovery that you use for every type if it's not going to work in every case, so familiarity with the type must be the go.
However, the general principles of throttle idle, identify direction of spin, full opposite rudder, control column centrally forward until spin stops, centralise and recover from the dive wouldn't be too bad for an upright spin. In some types they also advocate in-spin aileron if it's not recovering, but as I said, it's type specific.

Edit: Wiz, points noted about the Pitts, I haven't flown it, but on the other hand, the control column centrally forward thing is definitely called for in some types.