PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Crew Security" Thread (merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2007, 10:40
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letter from the Dept of T'port

I just recieved this from the DoT.
My initial queries can be guessed at by the content of the mail.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 1 May 2007 about aviation security. In your e-mail you queried why personal searches and restrictions on liquids apply to aircrew and raised concerns about the conduct of certain airport security staff.

All passengers and staff (including flight crew) who seek to enter the restricted zone of airports in the UK are subject to the same mandatory security arrangements. The reason for this is that there are no guarantees that people, even those from the most respected professions, would never be involved in supporting terrorism, whether deliberate or unintended. If the August alert taught us anything it is that terrorists are continually looking for new ways of attacking aircraft and circumventing security. It is clear that where they identify a weakness they will seek to exploit it. If flight deck crew were allowed to take any liquids through the search point into the RZ then it may be seen as weakness in the overall security regime and could be exploited. It is therefore important that the security regulations apply equally to all.

You criticise aircrew screening as not being worthwhile, because pilot's have control of an aircraft full of fuel that in a worst case scenario can be used as a weapon. As you say that is a possibility but not a likely event. I cannot accept that as an argument for not having other measures, as it ignores the fact that there are other scenarios that the security measures aim to mitigate. Our measures have to be robust enough to prevent a range of unlawful eventualities.

As regards background checks I can confirm that all staff working in the RZ of an airport and undertaking security activities are subject to mandatory screening to ensure that they are suitable for undertaking their tasks. I also confirm that staff who carry out the searching and screening procedures are themselves subject to the same search and screening before entry to the RZ is permitted and are subject to the same limitations on what they may take into the RZ of an airport. Furthermore, control authority staff including Department for Transport officials involved in ensuring that the regulations are complied with and implemented correctly are subject to the same requirements.
I note your comments about the conduct and behaviour of screening personnel. You will appreciate that this is the responsibility of the airport as their employer and as such any such concerns you have should be addressed to the airport.

Yours sincerely,

Dharam Singh

For
James Chan
Aviation Security (Domestic) Branch
Transport Security & Contingencies Directorate
Department for Transport
Zone 5/13, Southside
105 Victoria Street
London SW1E 6DT
Tel: 020 7944 8562