PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - perth qantas engineering
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2007, 00:16
Hardworker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Hr roster

I thought it would revert back to the days prior to the 12hr roster, it was just as bad on the 9.5 when I was there, not enough leave allocations and to work 5 days straight and lets face it, Perth is a busy little airport with very short turnaround times.....
No wonder the sick leave is increasing, throw in cold weather and a bit of wind chill not forgetting all the bugs that come in on all the foreign operators....there goes the recovery time...
Some how I keep thinking that Qantas has a Duty of Care policy....
But I think that translates to do lots of Duty as we dont Care!
You would think an operation that has proven its efficiencies by;
1. First every Australian full intergrated Domestic/International
2. Cost recovery from numerous Foreign operators
3. Remote location and limited resources
4. Flexible workforce covering the operation in AOG situations
would have been more than enough for management to look at and say, hey its working well if we take into the account of sick leave/training/leave
and human resources problems, but no, bring in an outside consultant to review the operation. Pay millions of dollars to these consultants (due to managements inability to manage and see benefits/disadvantages) and have a report saying that 2hr a week overtime built into the 12hr roster is costing you X number of dollars per person...
Then management with the 2hr overtime in their sights overlook every positive to drive a cost saving, not even review or balance the disadvantages against the advantages....
Must be time for a new management team, the likes of M H & his appointed yes boys R H at the SIT must be made accountable and be given the flick!
Its only a matter of time before an incident exceeds this ridiculous cost driven stupidity....engineering is an insurance policy - a last means of defense in the "swiss cheese", but management see it only as an expense
And guess what the 10.9 hr roster at Sydney SIT isnt working either - they are looking at a 9.5 hr roster....well as you can guess the guys will go for the 8hr than be abused into a 9.5....after all R H & Mr M H said the 10.9 hr roster was the template for all Australian stations....proof that it doesnt work and now they have to face the reality and see that one roster doesnt fit all stations.....Where do they find these people...you wouldnt let them manage a shoe store let alone a complex industry with so many variables as aviation!

Last edited by Hardworker; 2nd Jun 2007 at 07:40. Reason: additional