PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor Ba . What Rubbish
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2002, 20:49
splonguk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mistake. I misread the section about Danair, Laker and BCal. I thought you were complaining about them being absorbed into BA.

Sorry.

For everyone's info, I am not a BA employee but a university student! I have no financial ties to the airline but simply think that BA is getting a lot of flak. We have to remember that companies of BAs era (ones with a long history and have gone through many mergers) end up with complex management structures, and managers who think there is no need to fix it. Ryanair and Easyjet etc. have been able to look at existing airlines and create low-cost high profit companies because they are NEW. BA cannot scrap it all and start again; that is not practical.

Also, so BA pilots might complain, and might be used to the good life, but that attitude has come from years at the top, as untouchable, as financially stable. If the company is doing well, this will reflect in the employees pay and conditions. How long will it take for pilots at the low fares to figure out that their company is making a killing and they aren't really getting a good deal! (Yes salary is good, but perks ain't compared to scheduled airlines of days gone by.)

It is human nature to compare, the pilots of the low fares will do this. The low fares won't be strike free for ever (unless of cause the contracts forbid you to strike).

Then again, maybe everyone should just be happy being in work! I started an aerospace engineering degree 18 months ago, and was told on day one 'Congratulations, you have chosen one of only a handful of degrees where you are guaranteed employment!' Look at it now!

Man, this is all way too intelligent for 4:50 pm on a Friday.

Here's hoping that the industry pick-ups before many more lose jobs.

Sorry if I have upset some; just my opinion and thoughts, but as someone quite rightly pointed out Laker, Danair and BCal were all pretty much before my time.

[ 22 February 2002: Message edited by: splonguk ]</p>