PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS course set ... risks!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2007, 15:46
Thridle Op Des

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triple Air Data/Inertial Reference units.
Dual 12 channel GPS which update the IRS position.
Dual Multi Mode Receivers which update the IRS if the GPS fail - using DME/DME, VOR/DME, VOR/VOR, and even ILS LOC. Radio Navaids are automatically tuned to match the route and departure/arrival procedures - a fully integrated system.
All the transitions we would ever need including DME arcs, and now starting to include engine out procedures in performance demanding areas. Database integrity checking systems to ensure the validity of all the routes.
Managed Non-Precision Approaches (both latererally and vertically), soon to get Precision Approaches with GPS/RNAV (approx Cat 1 minima)
With the A380 we will be getting a vertical profile display on the Navigation Display to ensure Terrain Clearance and all the vertical constraints are met.
We still can't hover though - unless there is a 145kt headwind at 500'. We still need 4000 hectares of terrain devoted to our activities.
As you say; it is very disappointing to see how far the rotary world lags behind the fixed wing world, especially how the same FMS suppliers are used between the two sides of the divide (Thales and Honeywell for example). I know money is the big influence but it is sad to see how new helicopters are released with big fanfare, boasting about their modern flight decks, but are essentially on a par with the Boeing 757 when it was first operational.
One thing I like from the 225 - the HSI indication with the ovoid compass rose.
One thing I am staggered about - the CFIRE is still an individual annunciator on the sub panel - not a ECAM-ECIAS warning.
Regards
TOD

Apologies for the partial thread creep, but I think it is worth comparing the differing safety systems!