PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways
Thread: Qatar Airways
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2007, 15:53
aviduser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suicide at Bin Mahmood

Just to add to the dissussion over Qatar Aiways. Yesterday 29th May 2007 a Korean Cabin crew member commited suicide by jumping from a fourth floor balcony. Obviously we dont know all the circumstances yet. The girl could have had personal issues, its known she had a boyfriend here but the working conditions at Qatar Airways could not have helped her state of mind.

Cabin crew here live under the constant threat of being fired, sometimtimes almost on a whim. Anyone considering a job here should think VERY carefully about the move.

I have outlined before just a few of the petty reasons you can be fired from this company. Firings that in any other country you could quite rightly sue for.

Qatar is not that bad a place, but the Airline under its current regime could be compared to a form of legalised slavery. The restrictions on staff pass beyond any boundaries that one would consider to be fair or balanced.

The company is short of 1500 staff, their appauling working conditions are the reson for this. The amount of staff leaving as soon as they gain enough experience is startling. Ethiad currently does not have an embargo on staff joining from Qatar hence people are leaving in droves every week.

If Emirates took away their embargo chances are the staff exodus would become a flood as people seeking a way out.

Ask your self is being a flight attendant worth giving up ALL your civil liberties. I can tell you its not.

If Qatar is your last choice re think your career, or wait for another oppertunity. Its is not worth the mental and physical drain on you.

I would hate to hear of another suicide possibly brought on by the stress of working for such an aweful company. You have been warned.

Working for this airline is a dehumanising expeirence