PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Of Fire: BBC2 2100 1/6/07
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2007, 11:00
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Some sources have suggested that when the Silkworm was splashed by Sea Darts from Gloucester it was heading for the Survey vessel (come command platform for mine clearance) HMS Herald. A hit by the Silkworm (massive missile with massive warhead) would have sunk her with heavy loss of life.

Going back to 1982....

The documentary on C4 was called Going Critical. Surprisingly, after all this time, there is still a section on the C4 website.

Going Critical - HMS COVENTRY

The problem with the Sea Dart system but with the air search radar the T42 had in 1982, particularly with respect to performance against clutter due to the large beamwidth. (I covered this briefly at University - being taught about radar by a lecturer who is ex RN).

Broadsword's computer failure didn't help, and don't forget Broadsword was herself hit, and communication between the two ships broke down, leading to Coventry obscuring Broadsword's Sea Wolf firing arcs.

What the documentary didn't mention, but the books of Sandy Woodward and Sharkey Ward do, is that the Skyhawks were being chased by a pair of Sea Harriers, but the Sea Harriers were called out so they didn't enter the missile engagement zone. If organic AEW had been around, and the Skyhawks has been intercepted early things may have been very different.

Personally, I am interested in this from a damage control and sea survival viewpoint.

Bet it doesn't mention the role of the media, was it really such a good idea telling the world (Argentines included) that the bombs weren't exploding as they were not airborne long enough to arm. The bombs used that day were parachute retarded - coincidence?