PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wisley....ah Vickers....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2001, 04:37
Daifly

Wisley is indeed still owned by the owners of Fairoaks. The runway is still there, but now has bollards along its length to stop the car racing that used to go on (illegal racing of course!)

The Incinerator was turned down - because of the local Nimby lot, probably no bad thing, though there case was largely misinformed - still, at least it won't destroy OCK (Ockham VOR is on the site).

The VC10's were not assembled at Wisley (I think I'm right in saying, certainly Trubshaw's autobiog refers to them being positioned from Weybridge/Brooklands across). It makes interesting reading that book, and also combined with the comments of the "Old, Bold" brigade around these parts. Apparently they would take of with enough fuel for the 3 minute flight. And I mean, with enough for the 3 minute flight ONLY! But, those solid RAF types nevered wrapped one around Byfleet!

It's a great place, but sadly, like Brooklands (in total, but good on the museum for keeping some of it healthy) and inevitably Dunsfold, it isn't getting any younger and is gradually being consigned to the land reclamation past that was Surrey's aviation history.

Surrey CC are a real bunch of short sighted ******s, though there's a great (and by that I mean HUGE) opposition to anything remotely developmental within airports in Surrey/Middx. Dunsfold has to be the crime of the decade. BAe pulled out and the airport will not, because of the council's development plan, be able to be used for anything other than Harrier test flying. So, that'll be back to farmland again.

Kick off, that's what I say.

Mind you, if Wisley did reactivate it'd scare the sh*t out of drivers on the A3 - about 100 metres from the end of the runway! "But it weren't there when we built it!"

Ho hum, airport rape and pillage rant over!