PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS course set ... risks!
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2007, 20:39
helopat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but I also thought that flying an ILS was (supposed to be) independent of the course bar setting. I mean, flying an ILS approach you are flying BEAMS, not courses. The needles should be telling you whether you are on the LLZ and Glideslope beams, not whether you are on a particular radial. Having not flown an ILS in the 109 (yet) I haven't had an opportunity to play, but I suspect its not a matter of the aircraft being off track, but rather the way the software is written that links the course needle position has something to do with your position on the LLZ.

In the Seahawk, for example, when you're established on the localiser and on glideslope (ie. needles centred) you can twirl the CDI bar knob around to your hearts content and you keep right on going down the slot. The CDI bar is purely for orientation. Even if the bar is off set, say, 45 degrees, the bars will still stay centred as long as you're on the LLZ.

IN any case, something to be aware of...thanks for passing along the information. Once I've had a chance to 'experiment', I'll get back on.

HP