PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2007, 19:43
Caudillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth here's my two pesos worth.

And to hopefully qualify it somewhat I speak as a UK pilot having operated throughout Europe, including all of these Spanish airports mentioned. Fluent Spanish speaker, lived in a couple of latin countries yada yada yada.
Gents, I think it boils down to, or at least stems from, national cultures being reflected in aviation culture. German was mentioned earlier - ie highly proficient and organised, which is what most of us would consider our German friends to be, even if they themselves may not.

*Generalisation follows*

Spain, Italy etc - are cavalier to an extent, if compared with the Brits, I feel that a good example of this is to be found in the extant "fully ready" thread. People there discussing how this one emphatic word doesn't appear in the CAP, how it needs definition, how it's tautologous etc. Entirely uncalled for unless, dare it say it, autistic. Hardly the sort of folks with whom I'd necessarily want to go for a drink, although alas, I must on occasion. We have very rigid SOPs and a mentality such to the extent that we have pilots afraid of flying their aircraft, whilst being able to lecture on the intrinsic composition of a switch.

In other countries, where dare I say it, life is more for living, there is less of this, and more of a self-reliant attitude. Yes, it's also more risky. Five minutes on the road for example should serve to underline this. Either viewpoint is anathema to the other, although more so from the more conservative to the less so. Spanish ATC practices reflect all the above I believe.

One thing that doesn't help is the hysteria which certain posters feel necessary to invoke in their posts when telling of their latest death defying jaunt to Alicante or wherever. Give me a break.

It is not that dangerous. It is more dangerous than the UK. Our approach to aviation has become so strongly risk-averse that this thread reagrding Spanish ATC has come to life. I don't advocate playing the fool, digging a fatal hole for ones self or ones passengers. Safety is the main concern, not having fun. However, although the ATC in Spain is not as good as the UK - it does not follow that it must be Certain risks are acceptable, and I believe that operations into Spain fall below this tolerance.

We do not need to be afraid of everything.