PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2007, 09:56
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Good Luck To Yar'adua

Well, despite many dire predictions, the first handover of power from one civilian government to another has happened in Nigeria (though one could scarcely say that it was transferred from one democratically elected government to another in view of the poll rigging )

I see that at least 4 of the previous State Governors, their immunity from prosecution finished with their term in office, are now on the run before they are arrested by the EFCC. Even the failed Presidential candidate Atiku Abibakar is reported to have left the country. It's unlikely any of these men will be brought to trial for stealing the poeple's money. The majority of the former 36 State Governors' are being investigated by the EFCC, so it's good to see that President Yar'Adua is one of the few with a clean record. He's got a tough job ahead of him if he's going to make any of the radical changes needed to restore law and order and stamp out corruption. For example Tombia, a small town near Port Harcourt, 15 people were reported killed yesterday. Apparently one group of local thugs, unhappy with the bribes they had been paid to rig the recent elections were making threats, so another group of local thugs were armed and paid to go and sort them out! This is a fairly routine happening in Rivers State these days.

For the sake of all my friends still flying in Nigeria, I wish the best to the new President. I had a long and enjoyable time there and I'd like to think that future generations will be able to go their for an enjoyable career, rather than tolerating dangerous conditions just because they need the money.