PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways
Thread: Malayan Airways
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2007, 05:11
828a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chris keeping:

I must say I agree with you about Arthur Larkman's "Chance Encounters". It's an accurate account of the beginning of the Malayan Airways that I was privileged to be part of and it should be compulsory reading for all who now work for Singapore Airlines. The larger than life individuals portrayed were very real but sadly there is not much on record about them. "Chance Encounters" helps to remedy this as does Colin King's book "Luck is No Accident" (unfortunately there is only one chapter dedicated to Malayan Airways).
Only recently I arranged for a professional model building company (Philippines) to make a model DC-3 in Malayan Airways livery. As they had never previously done one I sent them coloured photographs and all the specifications I could remember. They came up with a superb reproduction that I'm rather pleased to have. The black and yellow colours are correct as is the fabric and metal contrasts, the radio compass loop, the VHF and HF aerials, paddle blade propellers etc etc . There is no trim servo on the left aileron (did you know there is only one and that's on the right aileron). The complicated Tiger's head logo on the nose is a transfer made from a Malayan Airways timetable. It even shows the eight whiskers which was such an endearing part of the logo. The only thing missing is the small green engine fire extinguisher discharge disc located on the right side of the nose below the first officer's sliding window. I plan to add this. The model is on a nice polished wooden stand in the flying position with the undercarriage up. It really does look great. The registration is VR-SCC c/n 20763 and is meant to represent the DC-3 that Malayan Airways acquired from the Cathay Pacific fleet in 1951. Sadly 20763 was last reported in 1975 as derelict in Vietiane Laos. I often wonder if it's still there, its registration would have been XW-TDK and it was owned by Laos Air Charter.
PM me your email address and I'll send you a couple of photographs.
Regards
828a