PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ueberlingen collision Trial started
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2007, 20:09
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is about the trial, it was not meant to re-open the investigation using rumours and self invented rules.
There is very little unknown , very little questions remaining unanswered in that accident , and the investigation team did quite a good job. Zurich ACC learned their lessons, and we all know the shortcomings .
No need to do everything again .

Kontrolor, :
If you are not happy with 7 minutes in Liubjana ,fine, in other Centres some are happy whith 5 min. You do the nightshift with 4 per sector () and can refuse easily management pressure. Bravo. But please do not judge others whithout knowing their working enviroment. And I can assure you that on the morning of the 2nd July 2002, there were many , many ATC centres in Europe , including large ones, which said " This could have exactly happened to us ". I am glad to learn this was not the case in Liubjana.

BEagle :
The 757 crew reacted correctly, the Tu-154M crew did not.
I see what you are trying to say but unfortunately this is not that simple.
The 757 crew was not completely white and the Tu154 not completely black .
It is not that clearly said in the report, but this was the subject of a special briefing afterwards leading to the subsequent changes in ACAS training guidelines.

As I said earlier, everybody did mistakes that night. Some small, some big, but no-one was really totally immune. The early days of blaming the Tu154 crew for everything proved to be not that evident . One has to see this in the context of the ACAS training guidelines in foce then , not the ones we have today ,and largely modified as a result of this accident.

Now back to the subject :

Today Wenesday 30 was the last day of the public hearings in Buelach. The lawyers of the last 2 accused repeated the same story : the controller on duty is the " only one responsible for the collision , therefore my clients should not even be here "
The only interesting comment : Zurich management had argued that they did not warned specifically the 2 controllers on duty that night of the work planned,and its consequences, but that they had to look at a publication board where it was explained . The controllers apparently failed to look at the board. Well, it turned out that it would have made no difference , as the notice did not say when the work would take place and which systems will be affected.
Another Zurich management poor show.

This is the end of the public days.

The judges did not say when to expect the verdict.