PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ueberlingen collision Trial started
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2007, 19:51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To ensure we are all well informed, may I suggest the following link as good reading for all interested, especailly if you currently hold the view that Mr Neilsen was to blame for this accident. It is a review of the BFU report, carried out by Professor Chris Johnson.

http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/Eu...nal_Report.PDF

3 quotes:

"The accident was caused by a combination of the under-manning and a failure to recognise the risks associated with the profound system changes and lack of normal system support as a consequence of the SYCO flight plan processing system upgrade."

"The conditions that make this event more likely include the fact that the paper control strips for the B757 and TU154M do not show any apparent conflict."

"We concur with the BFU that the Swiss authorities had well-documented procedures and principles that would encourage the development of a sound Safety Management System. These principles were in accordance with ICAO and EUROCONTROL guidelines. However, the Swiss ATM organisations lacked the experience and the personnel to implement those procedures. Partly as a result of this opportunities were missed to learn from two AIRPROX incidents that had similarities to the events before the Überlingen accident.

6000PIC - I'm with you; I hope nobody goes to jail. What I believe is essential is that the truth is known and responsibility acknowledged.