PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOSA observers at EK
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2007, 17:57
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of interesting things i've heard about LOSA. One is that if a certain percentage of refusals happen, the results from the observations are disregarded. I don't know what that percentage is, but I'm sure EK will approach that threshold if not exceed it.

I am hoping that the threshold is approached, but we just sneak in under the wire, so that the results are analyzed, yet it becomes apparent... due to the high number of refusals, that there is a serious problem at EK. At the very least there is a problem when it come to transparency, and the obvious 'fear and intimidation' management techniques.

I will say that our LOSA observer was professional to the tee. I don't have any complaints whatsoever about him, although my colleague was less that pleased with some events, and to a certain extent I did understand his apprehensions. The one and only thing I questioned, was his motivation for becoming a LOSA observer, but that is something from which I never got a good answer.

I believe that EK is pre-empting things because in the future, apparently, this will be a requirement of airlines.

I have no misconception that EK will ever change their tactics, but I see no reason not to document the faults now. This airline could be the best airline in the world, if only they would stop hiring the likes of Ed and TCAS. It would take such little effort to repair the damage done here in the last 4 years, but I doubt that they have the forsight or will to do it.

I only wish the LOSA program had the power or inclination to change things, but I suspect it will end up being a fruitless experiment. Oh yes.. don't forget.............. mention the flight time limitation problems.......... that is one area that we might get some results. I doubt that LOSA can remedy the overall management issues, but at least FTL's are something that is concrete and directly relevant to safety.