PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton's Expansion Plans
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2001, 14:33
euroboy

Cool

LTN is one of the easiest airports to get to with good public transport links ThamesLink, Midland Main Line trains and coach connections to LHR LGW STN, Central London and various parts of the UK. Living North of Luton I have no problems getting to it, and imagine coming from the South just as easy.
In the old days 1970`s there wasnt the dual/single carriageway leading from the M1, you drove towards the town centre and then through small streets.
LTN problems have arisen because new housing developments during the 1980`s which are at the back of the airport and the residents have to use the airport roadways to get into the town centre and M1. The airport has moved on from the daily Britannia and Monarch charter, and I believe the old Luton Council never saw the development and future in the airport, seeing house building as the way ahead.
I think it was a totally stupid move to build the new terminal accross the once through road, so now there is only one way in and out. Bit like LHR and the tunnels. One problem and the whole airport grid locks.
You also have the Vauxhall site with the shift changes although these dont happen at rush hour. Dont get your hopes up coz the Vauxhall works at closing....they are, but the land is not being sold and there is very little you can do with it. There is talk that it will re-open in 2-3yrs.

LTN is enclosed by residental areas, Green Belt and Herts County Council, all bit of a problem for the managers at the airport I expect.

------------------
Warning:This cape does not enable the wearer to fly.
_ _____________________ _
Warning label on a Superman costume.

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 05 July 2001).]