PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The bits wot you have to take with you
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2007, 11:00
FlyingNikonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I don't have say out loud which brand I would advocate!
My username sort of gives it away, doesn't it!?

Anyway, regarding the Canon 20D, there has been a lot of mixed emotions amongst photographers. A friend of mine, who is a well respected aviation photog, can't wait for his 20D to die on him! He won't switch brand though. Just get a better Canon body.

Back in the analog days, I was a Minolta-man.
My choice to go with Nikon, once I had decided I was going digital, was mainly due to the ergonomics of the Nikon DSLR's.
Back then the D70 was all the rage, and they were hard to come by. I had to wait 6 weeks for mine, but it was worth it!
Even the tiny-winy D40 is a nice little cam to work with!

Today I use an old and beat-up D1X, and the newer D2X. I still have my good ol' D70 about and still use it from time to time.

When it comes to glass, I've found that Sigmas EX glass are in most cases as good as Nikon's pro-glass. Sigma EX's are almost half the price too, so no need to be brand-struck! (Although i must say that the new Nikon 70-300 VR is a bl**dy good piece of glass, in case you don't want to spend too much money on glass.)
Whatever you do though,...get good glass! Because if you don't,...it just doesn't matter what body you're using.
Cr*p glass = cr*p quality pics.