PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Badly judged FL, how to survive?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2007, 10:46
the dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neither. both will certainly hurt and may kill you.

you cannot force an aeroplane on to the ground. pushing will just increase the speed and you may hit the wall or ditch at the other end ( that is if you make it into the field at all ).

stalling it in may be fatal at the beginning of the runway.

you'll just have to practice it, and do'nt tell me the plane is fast and slippery and you can't get the speed under control. thats just an excuse for letting the aeroplane fly you.it is a basic requirement that you control the speed by whatever means at your disposal...

first rule of engine failure on a flight test...trim to the best glide speed...if you have not done that then you have no business moving on to the second...establish a glide at that speed and find a field, and if you have time try to find the fault and try a restart.

SO...i have to ask, if you have trimmed to the correct speed, then why should you arrive at any field at the wrong speed..

look at your technique again...maybe time to take a refresher ride with an instructor.

i have come across many techniques such as circling and many will swear by whichever they like.there is no perfect way but personally i like to keep it simple. find the wind and put yourself on a downwind or base so you can turn in when you like. circles make the approach more difficult to gauge and simply ( i think ) introduce another dimension...but whatever you like to do, practice, practice and practice..AND...keep the speed right all the way down.

good luck.

the dean.