PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-800 Flap speeds
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2007, 09:52
ERJFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My company/type doesn't provide flap selection guidance. If it was provided (like the guidance that exists for you) I would absolutly follow it.

John, in regards to following limitations in an emergancy... I urge to to look at USA FAR 121.557 part (a) states:

"In an emergency situation that requires immediate decision and action the pilot in command may take any action that he considers necessary under the circumstances. In such a case he may deviate from prescribed operations procedures and methods, weather minimums, and this chapter (FAR 121), to the extent required in the interests of safety. "

Based on my interpretation of that law it looks like violating limitations if needed to preserve saftey of flight is anything but indefensible. Infact the above law says the pilot in comand my deviate from the entire section of FAR 121 (all rules governing airline operations).

Loosly translated if you have to you can break every rule in the book to save lives. An example: If the airplane is on fire, I'll exceed a max tailwind and a max landing weight limit to get it on the ground. Remeber, first rule is to fly the airplane. Now to the same extent I'm not going to overspeed the flaps just because I've declared an emergency for somehting unrelated, like a break failure. Remember procedure is all well and good but sometimes (hopefully once in his carrer) the PIC has to earn his pay and make decisions when there isn't time to open the book. I.E. I'm not going to be the guy that dies because he's reading the evacuation checklist when the center fuel take explodes.

Last edited by ERJFO; 30th May 2007 at 10:05.