PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pc to pc data transfer
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2007, 19:57
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm buying a new desktop and would like to transfer most of the files on my old laptop onto this new computer.
Coming in a little late but here's my tuppence-worth.

On the assumption that your new desktop has MS Vista as its OS, then Vista has the necessary application in the form of "Windows Easy Transfer" to to migrate your existing files and settings to the new computer [I think read somewher that Vista Basic doesn't offer this facility so check]. All you need is an Easy Transfer Cable available from various manufacturers. FWIW I used Belkin's version (recommended by Microsoft) and available from DABs for example for £19.99. Other cables have been mentioned in this thread so take your choice. The Belkin version worked fine with me with no problems.
More details of Windows Easy Transfer here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/easytransfer.mspx

"Windows Easy Transfer" doesn't transfer your installed programs and applications such as Word etc. MS have however, recently posted a free program for download that does this in the form of "Windows Easy Transfer Companion (Beta)".
Details of this can be found here [it says that this is only for the US market, but it can in fact be downloded - 3.9Mb]:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Be aware that although Windows Easy Transfer can copy your Outlook Express address book sucessfully to the new computer, it can't copy your saved messages. This is to do with Vista having replaced Outlook Express with a new mail program called "Windows Mail", this means that when you try to import your Outlook Express messages from your old computer with Windows XP to a new computer running Vista, you can run into problems. There is a work-around and if interested PM me and I'll pass on the details.
The "Windows Easy Transfer Companion (Beta)" came out after I'd installed Vista Ultimate in early February and had so to re-install my main applications like Office etc, but this was done sucessfully, even the Office activation worked OK. I am very happy with Vista - I'm not going back!
Tony