PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton's Expansion Plans
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2001, 15:24
OLNEY 1 BRAVO

The "start up" deals as described in this thread are far from unusual. I seem to recall that STN introduced a very much reduced tariff 4/5 years ago where any airline starting up a scheduled route to a destination not already served from STN got very, very preferential rates. If I remember correctly a number of charter operators suddenly converted to scheduled operations .. I'm sure Finnair's weekly charter from Helsinki was one of those.

Turning to the original thread, it seems that TBI are undertaking a cull of the existing Luton Management .. the following from the Luton Airport Website:

"MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT POSITION RESTRUCTURING AT LONDON LUTON AIRPORT OPERATIONS LTD

TBI plc (“TBI” , the owner and operator of regional airports and related businesses, which acquired a further 46% of LLAOL in March 2001 and now owns a majority stake of 71%, has completed a comprehensive review of LLAOL.

During the first three months of TBI’s ownership of LLAOL, the senior TBI personnel installed by the Group in March have undertaken an in depth organisational review at the airport. The aim of this review was to reposition the organisation to enhance its performance recognising that there are significant efficiencies and synergistic benefits with other airports within the TBI Group.

The management team has recognised that continuous improvements are necessary to maximise the performance of LLAOL. In line with this assessment management are proposing to implement a new organisational structure during a formal consultation process with potentially affected individuals and their representatives. About 40 management and support positions will become potentially redundant in the reorganisation.

The aim of the programme is to ensure that London Luton Airport is better placed to face the competitive pressures in the rapidly changing air transport market."

If TBI are serious about increasing flights, then they need to start laying some more concrete for new stands now.

[This message has been edited by OLNEY 1 BRAVO (edited 27 June 2001).]