PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC Case temperatures
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2007, 10:13
Bushfiva
Hippopotomonstrosesquipidelian title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Seagate Momentus.2 (7200rpm - it's a screamer) has a max operating temp of 60C, non-operating of 70C. So, it's close to your needs. Idle power 0.8W, 2.1W read/write. 160GB for not much money at all. Maybe you could give it a try. Since Seagate is promoting the drives for blade servers, it seems they expect 24/7 operation. It probably runs cooler than the 4200 rpm unit you may have in there.

I *think* BIOS control of the fan is iffy on the earlier models. You should be running BIOS rev 3224 or higher. The Vista update pack at ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/pub/Asp...a%20Update.zip includes an even more recent BIOS. I don't know if it's suitable for your model, but rummaging around the site might yield more info. Some people claim their machine runs 10 degrees cooler. I'll just repeat, I DON'T know if this is the right BIOS for your machine, so please do your own research

Oooh, some people here http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...t=74516&page=2 have been popping the case and discovering some of the ventilation slots are blanked off with film. Keep reading and you'll see that they've worked out the airflow around the machine, so the film is probably necessary.

Also, there's a cheap cooler out there that plugs into the PC card slot. I don't know if that would help.

Last edited by Bushfiva; 29th May 2007 at 10:23.