PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter flying
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2007, 09:59
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pablo,

as a former AAC pilot, I can offer you plenty of relevant advice. You must be prepared to spend large periods away from home, in sometimes unpleasant, sometimes very scary situations with groups of other people equally uncomfortable and scared. There are also fantastic times and places to visit, and it is all very rewarding, but what underpins everything is the ability to adapt to your surrounding environment and community and get on and make the most of it. There is no manual for this, it is a personality and a natural thing. You must be able to get on with others almost above all else. In many ways flying is secondary to this, as you will always be working in a team or a multi crew environment in difficult and stessfull situations. If you can do this, everything else will follow and you will be receptive to instruction on your pilots course. If you are able to get on with others, take advice and criticism well and as intended, you will learn and progress, if not you will ultimately fail. There is no endstate in this game, it does not finish at the end of your pilots course, all would agree, that the real learning begins after you finish the pilots course and continues for the rest of your life. You never escape 6 monthly checks, QHI checks, constant assessment and re-assessment, and this is a good thing.
Finally do not take anything for granted. RMAS is certainly not a given, and you must excell at leadership in an infantry based environment first for a year before you even get a shot at the AAC. If you haven't already been through RMAS, forget about the Corps for a while and focus on getting through RMAS. Get as fit as you can, as it is very physically demanding for all, and standby to be treated like a 5 year old for a while. You must be well prepared before Sandhurst, or else, as with many others, you will not make it.
Unfortunately from your posts so far, you seem to be lacking in a couple of the above mentioned areas. I am not one for jumping to conclusions, and would not presume to know you, but first impressions are not good. Prove me wrong.

HB