PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A stolen private plane was shot down by...
Old 25th Nov 2001, 08:49
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Question

As we went by on the parallel taxiway, it looked like all of the missiles had about four fins on the rear. The missiles were of a very light color, but some were under the small alert buildings/shelters. My FO retired from the Air Force after twenty years of flying C-130s (was Squadron Commander at Little Rock, AFB) and Twin Otters. He might not be able to identify whether the missiles were the actual weapon systems or the trainer version.

It is strange that we never read about such an unfortunate incident. The guy with Clearance Delivery (in the KGTF civilian control tower) only said that it happened over Idaho, and said nothing else. Maybe no media people had any reliable info on this. If it really happened, and the plane was stolen, maybe the F-16 used his/her guns instead of a missile, over a remote area-Idaho seems to have many such areas, although I wonder if anyone has found wreckage from the plane.

I doubt if the air traffic controllers at Great Falls, MT, or Salt Lake Enroute Center (if such a stolen plane was painted by their radar over whichever mountains, especially if flying low) can speak very openly about it. Would Salt Lake Center have verified to a fighter pilot that there were no towns or villages ahead while the plane was intercepted?