PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ghurka Rifleman PUN VC. Triumph! (Merged)
Old 27th May 2007, 22:41
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Boiiing and thank you FNW, a friendly word of advice dispatched to dear Liam!
The various citations on this thread, including that of Rifleman Pun, VC, dwell rightly on the supreme courage of those Gurkhas. But there is another side that is also important to remember, and that is of their wonderful generosity and hospitality. Which leads me to my next tale!
A couple of years ago, Mrs C and I headed back down the M4 to the Cotswolds to attend a wedding. Having a little time in hand we made a slight diversion to an ex RAF base now occupied by the Army. We parked outside a house(MQ) that had been our first home, and made to take a photo or two before going on our way. The front door opened and a man came out asking if he could be of help. I realised at once that he was a Gurkha Officer, despite him being in civvies. We made our apologies, but explained that his home had been our home over 32 years previously. He immediately invited us inside. We demurred for it was 9 o'clock in the morning! He insisted, his wife appeared, she insisted, so we were ushered inside to an immaculate home that would have passed any AOC inspection, as though they had known of our visit for weeks! The house itself of course was at once familiar and different as any place not seen for so many years. We reluctantly had to leave as time was now short so exchanged details, and receive and send Christmas(!) cards to this day. Wonderful warm friendly people, but be very very glad that they are on our side!
Let him in!