PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway End Safety Areas (RESA)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 21:02
Sir George Cayley

Dear Overun Eng,

With all due deference to your knowledge and experience I must disagree on one point with regrds to ICAO.

As I've trod its corridors on more than one occassion trying to change the world, I have to say that my confidence in any Standard it has recently ratified is weak.

Lowest Common Denomiator is the phrase that always goes thru' my mind.

240m may be too much, Rolls Royce, Gold Plated etc but 90m does not stand up to examination against the sort of design a/c one has to deal with today.

Also the reduction of RESA for minor infringements at the lateral extremes gives airport operators a get out they should not enjoy.

I don't have all the data in front of me but I'm sure you would agree that if just one passer-by had been killed 91m from the end of a runway it would be unacceptable.

Surely, the right process should involve a calculation based on all the contributory factors that surround each runway, inc its surface, the LDA, wx, and design a/c plus most frequent a/c, to arrive at a figure that can be demonstrated as being acceptable on a LARP basis?

If that was 90m, 240m or 500m people living under the shadow of a runway would receive the protection appropriate to the airport it served.

I offer this opinion without prejudice and in the spirit of improving safety thru dialogue. The fact I'm descending in to a deep bunker is purely coincidental.

Sir George Cayley

In saying LDA I shouldd have included ASDA but assumed everyone would know this.

Last edited by Sir George Cayley; 28th May 2007 at 16:03. Reason: Just had another thought