PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ghurka Rifleman PUN VC. Triumph! (Merged)
Old 27th May 2007, 17:51
F3Dentist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WO1 Pun VC

I have never posted before, but this thread has enraged me to such a pitch that I must say something.

I can only offer a more recent example of working with Ghurkas. I came back from a tour in the Falklands last year, and while I was there i spent a week on 'facility improvement duty' with a group of Ghurkas. After a hard day lugging stuff about, digging, etc; i'd go home and lie down shattered, and they'd go to the gym to 'keep fit' (their words)! I have never met such a hard-working, devoted and cheerful bunch of chaps. They even put the loyalty and behaviour of our own servicemen to shame at times (not said easily).

The situation concerning WO Pun is unforgiveable. As for not sending him his own VC, surely the wishes of the original recipient outweigh the historical significance suggested by the museum. It sounds blunt, but surely they'll have it for years after he's gone. I hope the Museum is ashamed of its narrow-minded comments.

It goes without saying that e-mails are enroute, and the general petition is signed.

I would like to thank all the previous posters for bringing this to our attention.