PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 13:54
Bedder believeit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC Watcher:
"never delegate the supervision of your flight path to Controllers. Not in Spain, not in the UK, nowhere".

Generally, fine words, but I don't know if I fully agree with your last sentiment. One could say that it comes down to semantics about the intent, like or otherwise, what such words as "control", "supervise", "manage" and other like meaning words really do mean. Unfortunately, as time and technology drift by, then more and more aspects of piloting will likely be transferred to other areas, be they electronics, or the ground. By the same token, we may see various elements of "ground supervision" transferred to cockpit and electronics. Getting the three different groups (Aircraft Commander, Air Traffic Manager/Controller, and electronics/ computer) to all interface in an agreeable and like minded way has it's issues, and can be thoroughly contested for responsibilities. I guess you could intimate that the fairly recent collision over Germany/Switzerland is a good example of this "crisis in command". This is not a post that can shed light on resolving these issues, it's just the way I see things after more than 40 years in aviation.
Cheers ATC Watcher, I always enjoy reading your thoughtful posts.