PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exodus from Skippers (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 11:43
Aquaplaner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defenestrator

I am not suggesting that the Check and Training system can be switched on and off, rather that a qualified FO can log ICUS in accordance with CAR 5.40 (quoted above) on a regular line flight without any check and training personnel in the aircraft.

Not every Tom, Dick and Harry can log ICUS, only those the operator of the aircraft permits to fly the aircraft as pilot acting in command under supervision (CAR 5.40) and as 404 Titan has correctly stated all it takes is a blanket statement in the company’s ops manual that allows ICUS to be logged by the FO when he is PF.
Reckon it won't be long though before the 'command practice' procedure becomes a lot more common place once we see some guidelines introduced into the CASA documents.
You are right about that one. The following quote is from the proposed amendment to Civil Aviation Regulation 5.40 concerning the Multi-crew Pilot Licence:
5.40(1)(a)(i) pilot acting in command under supervision
Insert
- multi-crew pilot licence
intent - to allow an MPL holder to operate, and accrue hours, as pilot in command under supervision
It seems that CASA does not have a problem with pilots using ICUS to "accrue hours"
I'm happy to eat my words. But mate you just can't go making statements like this without backing them up with reference to CAO/CAR. We don't do command practice in this country and ICUS is conducted from the left seat with a suitably qualified Training Captain in the right....PERIOD.
I am also happy to eat my words. Maybe you could back up your statements with reference to CAO/CAR and set me straight?