PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Pilot Shortage is coming!!!
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 11:19
Richo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Fredie

In a lot of cases the question for those in the sought after bracket, is really two questions:

1. Do I want to move on to better things (Happy where I am), and

2. Can I move on to better things (wan't to but can't for what ever reason).

The way I see it there are a few categories for pilots in this senario:

Those that want to move up reguardless of anything, (usualy low hour/experiance)
Those that are considering moving (just waiting for the right job)
Those that want to move up but can't (lifestyle or ability)
Those that are mostly happy (will move only for that very right job)
Those that are happy where they are and will not move

Lots of companies will now look again at those that they have rejected in the past.

I belive that there is a large pool of experienced pilots out there in the last few categories, Ie will move but it has to suit them.

There is a shortage of Pilots that are eligable or WANT to take these jobs. but there is a pool of pilots out there who can fill the positions IF the right conditions are in place. (life style, basing, money, get through on second go, reduction in requirments etc)

It would be nice to stand here with my hand on my heart and say that I am happy, but the sad truth is that money rules the world, and most of us (myself) included need more to continue with our lifestyles (wife, kids, house, drinking, fast cars/girls etc).

So I am in the category of wating for the right job, or untill I get desparate enough (soon).

PS I don't belive that companies will improve conditions enough to stop the drain from upper GA. They know that it wont stop the drain and will hold off untill things start to get really serious for them.