PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the Federation
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 05:41
Night Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Don't just think about the airlines

Some ten years ago I saw a number of flight instructors all join the AFAP with happy smiles because they thought that they finally had a voice with wage negotiations with a GA operator. They were being under paid reference the award.

What did the AFAP do to help them….NOTHING. You’re too small a group to justify the expense.

This is where pilots being shafted starts and so they then believe they have to do anything to get out of that part of the industry. Hence they now accepted the T&C the larger operators offer simply because it’s better than where they were. This is all in the hope that some day it will all get better. But now we see operators still trying to undervalue pilots with Endorsement requirements and low pay.

For me now it’s about getting enough pay to simply pay the bills, feed the family and not some day driving around a F40. Work on getting salaries that reflect the cost of living and the effort guys and girls do to keep there skills to a professional level.

The constant, “its best you’re going to get” line I hear from many mates that work at all levels of this industry about the AFAP is a sad reflection of your ability to represent pilot in this country.

Help the little guys out early in the piece and you wouldn’t be battling for members now.

After the response I saw ten years ago, there was no way I was going to join. I could add more on the level of interaction with company managements but you’re liable to take legal action.

If you had looked after the guys back then, many would still be members today. The (current or upcoming) pilot shortage will see many GA guys that could have been members now join larger operators with other unions supporting them.

You’ve made this bed you’re in a long time ago by being short sighted.

Good luck with your PR/membership drive.

NH