PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mac/PC questions
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 01:43
Richard Spandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was led to believe that Macs were easier to use etc. The interface is very pretty, but it took me 2 weeks of buggering about to get onto my own wireless network that all my XP machines had no problem with.

There are some little things that made me think Apple didn't put all that much effort into the OS. For example, the Apple Menu, unlike Windows Start Menu, is not customisable - why not? It makes it virtually useless. There is (not free) software you can download to let you customise it, but in my opinion it should be built in already.

iTunes isn't integrated into the OS - so changing tracks whilst you are in another program isn't possible unless you right click on the icon... except Apple don't include a right mouse button on the Macbook that I bought - again, why not?

To play any video fullscreen you either have to download third party software or buy Quicktime Pro - I've just spent 800 quid on a damn laptop and now it says I can't watch my own DVDs fullscreen - to watch any downloaded video you have to start mucking about with codec packages that aren't automatically called.

The file browser, Finder, pales in comparison with Explorer. Perhaps the ethos is different and they expect you to find everything by searching with Spotlight (which is a good feature)

If you don't ever change the defaults on XP then you might get on with OSX but as a reasonably advanced user, I find it severely lacking.

I could go on, feel free to ask any questions

RS