PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the Federation
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 00:39
Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Lawrie,
I have a few questions, i think it fair to assume that your intentions are good, i also think it fair to assume the reason for this topic is to try to drum up members, which is a good thing.

Personally i am a critic of unions, why, from a previous life i had to deal with the "Storeman and Packers Union" then the "TWU", from those experiences i did not like the bullying and god like status that was bestoyed upon the union reps in each workplace, but all that said, there were very very frequently very positive outcomes for the associated work force.

I am not a member, but would become a member if there was some positive commitment made by your goodselves, look through my posting history and you'll see my personal concerns.

In the past i used the term " WIFM", whats in it for me, well some believe this is against the concept of a union, the actual question is what in it for us ? ( the pilots from GA to skygods ).

It is pretty much common knowledge that the "Awards" as listed on your website are relevant in only a few states:

Q 1) why are there still pilots within those states being paid less than these rates ?,

Q 2) Why are there still states that these awards do not apply ?,

Q 3) Are the awards appropriate, for example the copilot salary for a Brasilia, how does this compare to the Australian IR minimum wage, is this a fair bench mark ?,

Q 4) What is you organisations stance on AWA's, specifically, is this the end for these awards you have published ?,

Q 5) Black lists, Protests and walking off the job are not techniques that can or should be used ( 89 ), every employee should have some level of commitment to their organisation that is based apon the fact that the company must meet its work commitments to continue paying its bills, How would you approach this sort of negotiation when there is a sticking point with T & C's ?,

Q 6) Legal representation - when do you guys draw the line, when do you no longer offer required services to financial members ?.

Thanks for your time Lawrie,